3 l of water 2 tbsp honey 1 egg white 70 g poppy seeds 70 g sesame seeds
1. Stir the yeast and sugar into the water. Add the milk, egg yolk, flour, salt and soft butter and knead the dough for about 10 minutes. If the dough is too firm, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Form the dough into a ball and let it rise, covered, for about 1 hour.
2. Divide the dough into 12 portions and form each portion into a uniform ball. Cover the balls and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
3. Now use a wooden spoon to make a hole in the middle and extend the hole with your fingers.
4. Bring about 3 litres of water to a boil in a large pot and add the honey.
5. Put 2-3 bagels into the hot water, turn them after 30 seconds and leave them for another 30 seconds.
6. Lay the bagels on a baking sheet covered with baking foil. Brush them with the egg white and sprinkle with the poppy and sesame seeds mixture. Bake in preheated oven at 180 °C (preferably with a steam setting) for about 15-18 minutes until bottom is golden brown.
If you want to freeze the bagels, bake them lightly for only 12-13 minutes, let cool completely, and wrap and freeze them. Then you can bake them in the oven at 170 °C for about 10 minutes or heat them in the toaster.